Dead chicken in the coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lhousesoccer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. lhousesoccer

lhousesoccer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2010
    Hi - I have 11 chickens in my coop. All hens. No roosters. Tonight I came home from work and one was dead on the coop floor. They've been pecking each other alot this winter (first winter in the coop). Is it possible that they pecked this one to death. Yesterday, she was acting perfectly normal and laid an egg. Neck feathers were all stripped. Most of the other chickens are missing feathers too.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Unless you found a gaping wound, then I wouldn't blame the others. Broken neck or internal issues are far more likely. Now them pecking at each other is a whole other issue that you'll definitely want to address - whether not enough space (or too many birds for your space), protein deficiency, etc. Also, are you sure they're pecking at each other? Have you checked for parasites???
    Sorry you lost a bird though... [​IMG]

3. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    the same thing happened to me and i dont know why i think it was the cold that did that

4. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Unfortunately, I've had that happen to one too.. it was my Leghorn that I just found dead in the coop one day and never found out what happened to it. I suspect something went wrong inside because she hadn't been laying an egg in weeks. Do you know if yours was laying at all? Sometimes, that stuff just happens with those girls.. it stinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by