dead chicken inside coop back eaten another one gone tonightYIKES!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kelliepulido, Nov 2, 2010.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Came home last night to find a dead chicken with bloodied back meat exposed evidence of a struggle inside the coop.Lots of feathers and feed bowls tipped over,and the dead bird.I have a light on in the barn have now bought a live trap from tsc.Are these hard to set up

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    tonight another one dead head gone and it was a little serama cockrel I am sick over this.I will set the live trap tomorrow

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Seems like a possum to me. I'd bet money on it.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about your loss. [​IMG] It could be weasel, mink, opossum or raccoon. Did you figure out how it is getting into your coop? Live traps are very easy to set up. Good luck.

5. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I think possum too.Does the bait go on the little flat plate or beyond it?And what is good to use seems like beyond would be better so the animal steps on it to spring it

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I'm with you...possum!

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Something that might help, along with the light, is a radio. Somrimes a radio will deter raccoons for a short while. Anyway to keep the predator from coming into the coop?

Possums will keep coming back as long as there is a food source, but fortunately are easy to trap. Use canned cat food to bait the trap, if you can.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  8. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:I place mine just a little beyond the plate but keeping the bait close to the middle of the trap. That way they have to travel over the plate, but can't reach through to grab it. IMO, possum's will eat the internal organs first. If there heads upto their whole bodies gone, I'd say Raccoons. If they're blood is sucked, usually through a neck wound, then minks or weasles. Good luck in catching it or them.

9. Conventio Liberi

Conventio Liberi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    Indy!
    Quote:Place the bait Beyond the flat plate (towards the back of the trap)
    If the varmint is large it may become stuck in the door thereby preventing it from locking which can allow them to wiggle back out.

I have baited coon by hanging balled tin foil on a string hanging from the back of a live trap. They are curious critters and sometimes shiney things get their attention over chickens just long enough to get themselves in a pickle.

Just three nights ago I ran outside to chase away a coon from the door of the coop and supprise... there was a opossum IN THE RUN! That 'ol 'possum was dispached on sight, the coon was trapped last night.

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Place the bait Beyond the flat plate (towards the back of the trap)
    If the varmint is large it may become stuck in the door thereby preventing it from locking which can allow them to wiggle back out.

I have baited coon by hanging balled tin foil on a string hanging from the back of a live trap. They are curious critters and sometimes shiney things get their attention over chickens just long enough to get themselves in a pickle.

Just three nights ago I ran outside to chase away a coon from the door of the coop and supprise... there was a opossum IN THE RUN! That 'ol 'possum was dispached on sight, the coon was trapped last night.

Back to back sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by