Dead Chicken Mystery Solved (Picts)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Smittenroade, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    So, we had 5 chickens dissappear lately. And I had put game cameras out near the pond. Anyways, to make a long story short...I found a ton of feathers near the pond and realized the game camera was in view. There was no bones or beaks or anything just a bunch of feathers...You know what that means? YUP! Coyotes...I was kinda skeptical at first because the chickens dissappeared during the daytime which coyotes are usually nocturnal. But when I checked the game camera this is what I saw...

[​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    That's been a common occurence around here this year! I've had neighbors lose a bunch of theirs to a coyote between 7am - 3pm.

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Someone needs to tell the yotes I have seen they are supposed to be nightwalkers only lol

I see them lots of times during the day here in W Wash and when i lived in So Cali...they were out in the daytime a lot.

Glad you found the culprit tho!!

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Ew! that thing is skinny! that would be my guess why its taking birds durring the day! its probably starving an finding the easiest source of food.

6. Smittenroade

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    lol that coyote is standing in what used to be the pond...I think the drought in Texas this year has caused the predators to get desperate for lack of food and come nearer to our house and out in the daytime.

7. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    The only 2 coyotes I have seen in my lifetime have been during the day . Ok add one more at 3 am , but the other 2 were daytimers

8. Smittenroade

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Well, yea no animal is "strictly" nocturnal. I see deer during daytime all the time...but the point is they are mostly nocturnal..and usually not hunting during the day.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah - I'd say your wildlife is more desparate than us humans with all this heat/drought. I feel badly for critters like that (although not badly enough to donate chicken dinners).

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That coyote looks like a skeleton, look how skinny his hind legs legs are. Chickens are probably the only thing he is able to catch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by