Dead chicken - need help to figure out why - help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lalythra, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Lalythra

Lalythra New Egg

May 13, 2013
    This morning when I did chores all our hens and rooster were fine. However, this evening when we came home and started chores, our rooster and all 10 hens were piled by the human door to the coop. when we un-piled them the hen on the bottom was laid out flat, though still alive she died about an hour later. She didn't seem able to hold her head up to control her legs. Not sure what is wrong for them to pile like that. I've read where they do it when too hot or too cold but don't think that's the case here. They're all only a year old, coop is approx 8 x 10 with straw for bedding, roost with room for all under heat light if they wish or away from it. have 6 egg boxes that they regularly lay in. They have a run that is approx 300 x 150 ft. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't want anyone else dying on me. Also of note, we're in central IL and this is our first really cold weather, though they weren't piled by the lamp.....

2. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    I would say they accidentally trampled her. And as far as why you'd really have to investigate to figure that out. They could've gotten scared by something and huddled or it could've been the cold who knows. There's too many variables and not enough information for an accurate verdict.

I would keep a close eye on them and if it happens again I'd start with predator control just to be sure it's not a raccoon or possum trying to get in and causing a stampede.

Good Luck I hope you figure it out.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lalythra

Lalythra New Egg

May 13, 2013
    Thank you for the comment and advice. Newbie chicken owners working our way toward being more self sustaining so help is always appreciated.

4. YardBirdCountry

YardBirdCountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    I just lost one too. One of my younger birds. I think sudden shifts to cold weather plus wet muckness = more dead birds. Just do everything you can to keep it dry, clean, and warm in the coop.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is a copy and paste from an old post of mine, ignore the California parts unless you live in California. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by