Dead chicken this morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ArtofGreen, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ArtofGreen

ArtofGreen New Egg

Aug 26, 2011
    I went to the barn today and found that one of my Speckled Sussex is dead. It doesn't appear to have any damage except for a huge hole where it's butt used to be, I'm not sure if a wild animal did this, or if the chicken die and the other chickens gnawe and pecked at it's butt. I'm very frustrated with this as I just secured the entire stall (I thought) with chicken wire, several days ago.

It seems like some of the chicken feed is missing too. The feeder was knocked off it's stand and mostly empty.

Very unhappy [​IMG]

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I'd guess it's some animal that got in. If it was the chicken doing the picking & pecking, I'd think they'd still been chowing on it when you entered....they can be nasty as a vualture!

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I have read on here that rats will do that.

4. melissa41927

melissa41927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    northeast corner al
    weasel

5. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Yuck. Keep doing your homework and stop that varmit! Good luck!!

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Now that's just horrible! [​IMG] I am very sorry for your loss. Yup, it's getting cold and now we need to relook at our coops and runs for critters coming in. I have been lucky all summer, but I worry the cold is going to bring in field mice. Again, I know that was painful, I am sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  7. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Field mice, yes. My home is surrounded by farm fields. This is my first yr. with chickens and I know some will show up. My coop is moveable and high off the ground. When it gets cold and wet mice look for dry ground. Haven't had a problem in the the house...thank God but we always have a few that try to take refuge in the garage. Our Schnauzer usually sniffs them out or a couple of traps do the trick.

8. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    I've also heard that opossums will kill and eat in this way. They would also luuuurrve the chicken feed.

9. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Weasel and so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    As I've said before, I lost two white rock hens the same way and a possum got them. Then I got the possum and all her little babies. Don't know about a weasel. Never had one kill anything of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by