DEAD CHICKEN THIS MORNING

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aj552000, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Aj552000

Aj552000 New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    This morning I found one dead chicken. I don't think it was predators. I have two barred rocks that will keep pecking a the other birds when there in the nesting boxs. A couple of times I haved some with bloody backs. I don't know what to do. please help.

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You have my sympathies. Most of us been there. Where there any signs of injury that would have resulted in her death? Beyond that chickens can die for any number of reasons. From cocci to eggbound to a genetic defect,cancer and on and on. You could get her autopsied, but it is usually costly. Sometimes your state will do it free pending where you live. I don't think the nest box fighting is the cause,if that were the case I think we would have all dead chickens. Sometimes they just die for unexplained reasons, while there is a cause we can not see the symptoms. Case in point was my rooster, a White Rock barely 2yr old, was crowing one minute and dead the next. He was doing his normal thing as I was trying to corral an escapee which got him upset and all likely caused a heart attack. Again my sympathies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by