Dead chicken Water Belly? Video included

RobotJINI

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2019
Hello all,

I had a chicken die yesterday, her belly was bloated I figured it was just just an egg. When I cut her open all of her flesh fell out as yellow goop. This is only the 10th chicken I've butchered so I'm looking for some help diagnosing the problem and perhaps preventing it in the future. More is explained in the video, WARNING its graphic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YgKIiRLIoIkmKhX_Pe886ti8LzykoHUd/view?usp=sharing

I think your hen had internal laying. When the yolk is released from the ovary to start it's journey down the oviduct, it misses the opening and gets deposited in the hen's abdomen. Over time, the yolks build up and eventually cause an infection, which is most likely what killed her.
Do you know the last time she laid an egg?
It's probably smart that you don't eat her.

I think your hen had internal laying. When the yolk is released from the ovary to start it's journey down the oviduct, it misses the opening and gets deposited in the hen's abdomen. Over time, the yolks build up and eventually cause an infection, which is most likely what killed her.
Do you know the last time she laid an egg?
It's probably smart that you don't eat her.
I had 19 hens(18 now) and have been getting 11-15 eggs a day so its possible she wasn't laying but its hard to tell.

Crazy! Yeah, definitely don't eat that meat. That thing you picked up that you said looked like "cooked chicken" looks a lot like a lash egg too.
I think you are right, she might just not have had much chicken meat left to her because of her condition. That would make more sense. Before opening her up she more or less looked like a healthy chicken

I think you are right, she might just not have had much chicken meat left to her because of her condition. That would make more sense. Before opening her up she more or less looked like a healthy chicken
What exactly do you feed your flock?

Back
Top Bottom