Dead chicken, what caused it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustMandy, Dec 15, 2010.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    This morning I took water out and my roo, hatched in June or July, was just sitting on the roost. There was lots of watery stool around...and some frozen hanging from his feathers. I brought him in, he wasn't had raised so his calmness worried me. He barely moved, kept his feahters puffed out and would stand on one foot.

By the afternoon he had drank some water and I took him back out so he could be in his home. I was afraid the new enviroment and being alone would stress him out more.

Dh just found him laying in the run. [​IMG]

What could be the problem? Do I need to do something for the rest of my flock?

I'm very new to this and don't know if I have any more information. Ask anything you need to.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Awww, did he seem sick earlier? How cold does it get there?

3. JustMandy

Mar 2, 2010
    He didn't seem sick till today.

It's pretty cold. below freezing for many days...single digits last night.

4. JustMandy

Mar 2, 2010
    Noone else??

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    can you fill out the sticky at the top of the page to give more info?

6. JustMandy

Mar 2, 2010
    I sure can. Sorry, I read that sticky a while ago and forgot when it came to my emergancy. [​IMG]

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Mutt? Chicken, maybe 8 lbs? 6 months old

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic, puffed up, standing on one foot, tucked head into wing, then dead.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just that day

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. [​IMG]

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Water, grower feed and table scraps.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Brought him in to warm up

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Really just trying to figure out what happened

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. 8x6 plywood coop, with large run, straw bedding 2x4 roosts. It's been very cold here...below freezing for nearly 2 weeks.

Also, I know there are mice in the coop, if that helps. (??s)

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Have you ever wormed them? Was your starter feed medicated, or have they always been on grower?

Cocci or worms come to mind, but I am sure there are other things it could be. Have you noticed any musty or funny smelling feed lately? Could they have gotten into something spoiled?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by