Dead chicken...why?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JLS, May 28, 2010.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    My Coop
    I noticed one of my 1 year old hens puffed up, standing quietly in the laying box last evening. She had fecal matter on her bottom. No other symptoms. This morning around 6:30 am I let the ladies out into their run. All my ladies acted as they normally would. To tell you the truth, I couldn't tell which one had acted oddly the evening before!

I came home just now to find her dead on the coop floor [​IMG]. Thankfully, she was not eaten by the others. There is no sign of injury. She appears to have died some time earlier today, as she was stiff.

What could have happened?? I dont know what I should do?? Please give me some advice. I have bagged the I throw it away?
  2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Throw it away, bury it, whatever mode of disposal works for you is fine.

With virtually no symptoms it's hard to tell what may have happened. You could open her up and take a look around if it would help you deal, but it's probably not necessary. She may have been laying internally, been egg bound, any number of things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by