1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Dead Chicken with innards protruding out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jacksparrow, May 15, 2011.

1. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Hatching

Aug 14, 2009
    I was away for one night--chickens secure in their animal proof enclosure. I came home to find one of my 3 yr olds, dead, with her guts protruding out---a bit too squeamish to look closely, could have been coming out her vent, or her side. She looked a bit funky 2 days ago,sitting down--sluggish. No sign of any predators, feathers, etc. just a very bloody mess on her side.
    Does anyone know what might have happened?

2. cobrien

cobrien Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    so sorry to hear this. it could be so many things - a ruptured abcess or tumor, a prolapse (where intestines can come out of the vent), or??? you'd have to check more closely to know, or you could store her in a cold place (fridge cold not frozen; on ice is okay) until someone else knowledgeable could check. if you can take photos both close up and far away you could get some better help on byc, but i understand being squeamish.

3. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Hatching

Aug 14, 2009
    Thank you for your response. I have already buried her as she was my 7 yr old's favorite. My curiosity just got the better of me and I wondered if anyone might know. Thanks JS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by