Dead chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tjmings, Oct 30, 2015.

1. tjmings

tjmings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2015
    Came home today to find my favorite chicken dead :(. She has been seeking fine. I don't see anything wrong with her. Seems she just dropped dead. Any idea what might cause this to happen?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. You can send the refrigerated body to the state veterinarian for a necropsy to look for a cause of death. You can also do a necropsy at home, and look for a stuck egg, egg peritonitis or internal laying, a blocked crop or gizzard, and worms or infection in the intestines. Exam the liver also for color and size, or spots.

3. tjmings

tjmings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2015
    She is only about 4 months old. We introduced her and two others to my older two chickens about a week ago. After some minor pecking to establish pecking order all seemed to be fine. Wondering if she got into a fight with one of the other chickens. She did not seem hurt except for some marks around her head which I think were from the chickens pecking her after she was dead.

4. youtubeminer

youtubeminer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    In the neck or something feathers? And I had two hens fight alont but never killed each other!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by