1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cher1190, Jun 14, 2016.

1. cher1190

cher1190 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    Morning all,
    It has been terribly hot and humid here in Tennessee the last week. My chickens do fine in hot weather normally, but yesterday afternoon I went out about 2:00pm and gave them 3 new filled cold water with of coarse acv, and added an electrolyte to the water containers also, have been doing that since it got so terribly hot. Anyway all the chickens were fine, in the shade and doing their chicken thing. I worked outside until 4:00pm then went in to make dinner. At 6:30pm I went back outside to check on them and there laying in one of their dust holes was one of my beautiful Buff Orpington laying dead. Her head was kinda pushed down in the lower part of the hole and looked like dust and dirt was in and around her mouth, I just don't know what happened. I am so upset, she was one of our larger hens and has not been sick or acting different in any way. Anyone know what may have happened?[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like maybe she got trampled - which pushed her down into the dirt. How sad.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hello cher1190; That is terribly sad news about your hen, I am sorry. It is shocking how quickly a bird's status can change. I think you will find BYC to be a great resource and a nice on-line community. The members are very generous with their advice.

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Aww, so sorry! It must be way hot there for you to be putting things in the water. I am not sure that electrolytes are necessary. Keeping their water cool like you are doing, and even keeping their dust bath areas damp will help with the heat.
    Nice cool, ever frozen fruit is great also..frozen veggies too..peas... :)

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

OH I am so so sorry about your hen. [​IMG] I know how sad it is to find them gone. Definitely keep them cool as possible. Get a giant fan in the run and keep it running on them full speed. Hose down the run too...evaporating water cools the air and surroundings. Feed them cool treats like watermelon, grapes, cool greens ect...layer feed tends to over heat them a bit in the summer, so cool treats are a nice addition.

I am so sorry about your baby. But we do welcome you to our flock! :)

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you join us. So sorry for your loss. Sometimes it just happens - it may have been due to the heat or stress or maybe simply a fluke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by