Dead chicken :(

marilyngurl22

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2015
Went to close up the coop tonight and found a chicken dead on the floor. So sad! I'm assuming she died recently because the smell wasn't horrendous and she wasn't super stiff. I'm thinking heat but I'm worried there may be something underlying I don't know about. I'm in NC and it was very hot today. Super humid. I usually do two ice water refills and bring a frozen fruit treat around 3 and occasionally a mister but they don't seem to like that. Today I didn't do any of that because we had an emergency with my dog and were at the vet most of the day (he's fine now thank goodness. Rough day!). We have the coop under a tree in the shade, three windows for ventilation and a fan. She made it through last summer when I wasn't even doing ice water and as much frozen treats. Likely the heat? I also wonder if the fireworks last night might have stressed them and contributed. It sounded like a war zone here. A few were panting quite a bit when I shut the coop up last night and now I wished I had done more then.

The other thing I've noticed very infrequently is a little sneezing. It's only happened a few times in the past couple months, that I've heard, and I can't catch which chicken(s) it is. But now I'm paranoid it could be an illness, not heat. Do they just occasionally sneeze like we do? Sounds silly as I ask but I would like to know.

So my main questions are: what else can I be doing for the heat? It's supposed to get even hotter this week. I see the frozen water bottles mentioned but not sure how to incorporate that at night if they are still hot. The roosting poles are higher up, obviously, and the fan is attached to the upper wall so I can't place bottles under it. They only lay eggs in the coop during the day but hardly spend any time in the coop otherwise. Large area to roam. Also, we just moved to this property 3 weeks ago. No prior chickens on the property, they just had cats, dogs, and horses.

What should I be looking for as far as illness that would make a seemingly healthy chicken drop dead? And what can I do to head it off?

We cleaned out the bedding immediately after I found her and put DE and lavender flowers in as well. Should I do more to clean the coop since she was laying in there?

Finally, what do you do with your deceased that you can't/won't eat? It had never occurred to me before. We aren't sure what to do with her.

Sorry for the length and the amount of questions. I appreciate any and all help!

Hmm. It could have been basic heat stroke. How old are these girls? Its easier for an older hen to be more affected by the heat, honestly i don't think ou have to worry about anything contiguous. I f you are really concerned you can buy some antibiotics and put it in the water (make sure not to give them to much). I know the heat is supposed to be crazy so try to let them have dustbaths and to keep them happy.
When ever one of my girls die we bury her. I know its sad loosing a chicken but there really isn't anything to fancy to do, sorry! and Preventatively it sounds like you are doing a great job! ice water and a nice daily snack sounds good. So if you are really concerned about a possible infection check wherever you get your feed and ask if they carry antibiotics you can usually just put it in the water and be good to go!
Good luck!

I'm a bit cautious with using DE on chickens. I know that when preparing it we aren't supposed to inhale it because of the mechanical /physical damage it can do to the respiratory system /airways. Considering that chickens are especially susceptible to respiratory distress, I can't imagine that they tolerate it any better. Maybe watch out for that. We always bury ours when they pass. Hoping you solve the mystery without losing anymore.

I'm a bit cautious with using DE on chickens. I know that when preparing it we aren't supposed to inhale it because of the mechanical /physical damage it can do to the respiratory system /airways. Considering that chickens are especially susceptible to respiratory distress, I can't imagine that they tolerate it any better. Maybe watch out for that. We always bury ours when they pass. Hoping you solve the mystery without losing anymore.

Even under the straw bedding? I agree with the logic. Hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks :)

Hmm. It could have been basic heat stroke. How old are these girls? Its easier for an older hen to be more affected by the heat, honestly i don't think ou have to worry about anything contiguous. I f you are really concerned you can buy some antibiotics and put it in the water (make sure not to give them to much). I know the heat is supposed to be crazy so try to let them have dustbaths and to keep them happy.
When ever one of my girls die we bury her. I know its sad loosing a chicken but there really isn't anything to fancy to do, sorry! and Preventatively it sounds like you are doing a great job! ice water and a nice daily snack sounds good. So if you are really concerned about a possible infection check wherever you get your feed and ask if they carry antibiotics you can usually just put it in the water and be good to go!
Good luck!

They are only 1 1/2 yrs. so not old. Thanks for the tips. I was so shocked. I just feel bad thinking that I may have been able to help her had I been here today. But to be honest, my old dog will always trump the chickens. I will make sure I don't miss a beat from now on! I'll be checking on them lots!

I'm sorry for your losses too nikolairapunzel. I know it happens. I just wasn't expecting it :/

Back
Top Bottom