Dead chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dpt, Dec 22, 2010.

1. dpt

dpt New Egg

Jul 5, 2010
    I found a dead chicken today; probably my most most friendly one, a Black Australorp. The only thing I noticed is that her vent is bloody and fleshy – almost like some of the inside flesh was inverted out. It is about 10 degrees out last night and the rest seem fine. Does not look like she was pecked at all. It did look like she had been on top of the watering station as there was blood on it. The water was frozen this morning (as is most mornings right now) and looks like it the tray had been pecked with chickens trying to get water. Thanks

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Poor girl, sounds like a prolapse. [​IMG]

[​IMG] for you

[​IMG]

3. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss.

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Yes, it sounds like she was the victim of a prolapse. It happens sometimes... [​IMG] Sorry for your loss.

5. dpt

dpt New Egg

Jul 5, 2010
    It was not much tissue; maybe the about half the size of a golf ball. Is that enough for a prolapse? She was one of my favorites; very friendly. Thanks

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I haven't had that happen to any of mine yet but from all I've read thats what it sounds like. How old was she and had she been laying before this happened? so sorry for your loss.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She may have prolapsed because she was eggbound or an internal layer and couldn't push out what felt like needed to come out. You may be able to figure it out if you do a necropsy.

8. Huston's Happy Hens

Huston's Happy Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Dewitt, MI
    Quote:Hey DPT looks like you already have your answer...I didn't respond sooner - Christmas lunch w/the office and then a retreat (movie) - LUN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by