Status
Not open for further replies.

Betsy57

Crazy Chicken Lady
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Murphysboro IL USA
I went out to check on my chickens this morning and found my Goldie, a Brown Leghorn, my best layer, dead in her nest. Something got in the coop and tore her head off (never found it) and tore into her body some. My first chicken death. She is only a year old. The other chickens are fine. I've only named her and the Rhode Island Red rooster, Red. I thought I had the coop good and secure. They've been in there for a year and no problem. But I guss a weasel or mink or something. I trapped a coon last week and thought all was good. I don't think a coon could get into the coop, the openings for air are about 3" high. So now I guess I will have to board that up or put some good wire over it. I am so sad for Goldie and me!
sad.png

hit.gif
I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose any chickens but especially the 1st one. Sending lots of
hugs.gif

Quote:
I am sorry also for your loss.

Now....get out and get a trap if you don't have one. Because whatever it was WILL be back. We thought a feral cat or possum. After the second hen, in the second coop we set the trap....RACOON!!

We put a nice large chicken breast to bait it. We were so surprised that it was a racoon.

Get the trap. Set it.

and good luck!!!

I did trap a coon last week. I live in the country, my property borders Shawnee National Forest. I've trapped 13 coons one year. I have been up since 4:15 am trying to fix the coop but hard to do with no light, no one to hold the flashlight for me. So will have to try to fix it tonight after work. I will try either wood or wire. I want some air flow there. Whatever it is, it is getting through an area about 3" high. It gets in the back of the coop where I have a storage area and pooping like crazy. It doesn't look like typical coon poop (coon poop has lots of seeds, this just has lots of chicken feed in it!) so not sure what it is but I want it DEAD now and I want my Goldie back!
sad.png

Thank you all for your words of sympathy and support! I am scared for my poor chickies!

Last edited:
This looks like the handy work of a coon.
His "poop" will have the remains of what ever he eats.

A hot wire at 6,12 and 36" keeps us free of four legged preditors.
A tight coop and run is essential.

trap and SSS.

just my .02

Quote:
"sorry for your loss" is not going to help, neither protect your birds in the future.

Exterminate predators.

I do it all the time.

hugs.gif
so sorry for loss, I would use screws and hardware cloth that way they still get air flow. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom