Dead chickens

JoyV

Songster
Aug 30, 2019
Hello!
I woke up this morning to 2 dead chickens! I’m trying to figure out if it was my dog or something else who killed them. My dog doesn’t chase the big original chickens we have had. She does however chase/play with the smaller ones. We have had the smaller ones for about 5 months. She hasn’t shown any aggression to them, it’s more play. I know that’s not good.
Anyway. Here is the situation: one big chicken dead this am. Still feathers on and just missing head. Second one (smaller one) has all feathers scattered around and is only a carcass. So all meat picked off. What do you think I am dealing with? I believe it was this morning that is happened and they are free range.

A raccoon is the most likely culprit, though I wouldn't rule out the dog entirely. Were the dead chickens in the coop or yard when you found them? Do your chickens get locked up for the night? Does your dog have access to the yard whenever she wants?

A raccoon is the most likely culprit, though I wouldn't rule out the dog entirely. Were the dead chickens in the coop or yard when you found them? Do your chickens get locked up for the night? Does your dog have access to the yard whenever she wants?

They were in the yard. They don’t get locked up. I did however lock them up tonight in case something comes. I let the dog out when needed. In the morning she goes out, and this morning she was out about 45 minutes and I called her in and she seemed normal, no blood on her. Which I would think she would have some trace of something is she did it. She is a white dog so you would see blood.

They were in the yard. They don’t get locked up. I did however lock them up tonight in case something comes. I let the dog out when needed. In the morning she goes out, and this morning she was out about 45 minutes and I called her in and she seemed normal, no blood on her. Which I would think she would have some trace of something is she did it. She is a white dog so you would see blood.
I've had dogs kill/maul/eat chickens and there was very little evidence on them when they did.

I'm going to say it was most likely a raccoon. The raccoon could have attacked them in the yard at dusk before the chickens put themselves to bed or he could have snuck into the coop and killed them at night. Unfortunately, this is the consequence of free ranging and not locking up your birds. I would check the security of your coop to make sure there are no ways for a predator to get in and start locking up your chickens every night.

Unfortunately they don’t have a secure coop. I’m praying they are okay for tonight and I can try and address the coop tomorrow. Thank you for your answers.

I've had dogs kill/maul/eat chickens and there was very little evidence on them when they did.

I'm going to say it was most likely a raccoon. The raccoon could have attacked them in the yard at dusk before the chickens put themselves to bed or he could have snuck into the coop and killed them at night. Unfortunately, this is the consequence of free ranging and not locking up your birds. I would check the security of your coop to make sure there are no ways for a predator to get in and start locking up your chickens every night.
You were right! I saw the racoon last night. So crazy to me that we have one in the neighborhood! I locked the chickens in my garage last night! My coop isn’t secure so I am trying to figure out how to resolve that today!

Back
Top Bottom