1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead chickens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shepherd, Sep 5, 2010.

1. shepherd

shepherd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    I have a ton of roosters and some have their days numberd.

One of my black roosters that I think are Jersey Jiants have been attacking my feet. He doesnt do much damage, hes more of an annoyance than a threat.

But I was walking by my coop today and seen a hen getting ran down, and you know the rest. So I grabbed the hen and started walking off with my hen in my arms. Right when I least expected it one of my larger Road Island Reds came around the corner of the house and ran strait for my leg.

Most attacks just leave little red marks but this one drew blood. I dont really know whats wrong with em. Is it a testosterone overdose or something? Do they really need some that bad?

Well im sick of it. Next time it happens theres gona be a bullet passing threw the brain of a chicken going a bout 1260 feet per second. Sounds harsh to you tender people I bet but your not the ones with the cut up feet now are you.

I just want some sensible opinons on this subject. Not this isnt appropriate so im going to report this or This is killing chickes so im going to move it to the meatbirds page, well guess what for you people, this FLOCK MANAGEMENT so dont do that because you have nothing better to do with your time. So please SENSIBLE opinions.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    This is normal rooster behavior, and it will probably get worse and not better. I think harvesting your roosters is your best choice. Don't wait any longer.

3. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    Serve him with some potatoes and gravy.[​IMG]

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Revenge is sweet, expecially with a little BBQ sauce or maybe as chicken and dumplings.

Roosters only get worse once they start. Some have been able to re-educate a Roo, but in most cases it is only temporary. If they draw blood I would relocate them to freezer camp immediately.

Matt

5. icemanchicken

icemanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    in my experience the fewer Roosters u have the better, if they dont have to compete for the ladies they usually calm down. My rooster has never attacked me but if he does im gonna show him who is top on the pecking order lol.

6. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I am in the same situation and a few of my roosters have really upped the ante in the past few days. I feel ya.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Mrs. K :

This is normal rooster behavior, and it will probably get worse and not better. I think harvesting your roosters is your best choice. Don't wait any longer.

This is NOT normal behaviour. I have three roosters and not one has attacked me. In fact I had six running around the yard and none of them attacked me either.
    Its does appear to be common in RIR's
    I haven't got time to explain but take a board and the next time they come at you give them a good swat. Not enought to hurt them mind you but enough to let them know who's boss.​

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  8. shepherd

shepherd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    I agree with you all.

Everytime they come running they get field goaled.

Them lil sumb's are gona get it.

9. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    I've followed this advice on how to live with Roosters. It's working, but I only have one Roo... https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4810

That
    said, if my Rooster ever started to get aggressive with anyone, I'd have to cull him. [​IMG] I don't know how to use a gun, so my method of choice is to break a neck.

10. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I've read the Roo thread on behavior, and keep it in mind on my remaining two roos. Thus far, they have been very well mannered, even with the small child running around. I'm the boss, and they are keen on it.

The other roos I had ended up in the freezer more because they were a terror to the hens than they were to me, but each one made one pass or had the "look" and attempt to stand ground to me or the kid, and that was the end.

I would suggest the meat bird area, if only for tips on making a bad roo into a tasty dinner. [​IMG] They are yummy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by