dead chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sens-5, Jan 18, 2011.

1. sens-5

sens-5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    i was wondering if someone could help me on what`s killing my chickens..its been 2 days that when i enter the coop i have dead chickens 2 yesterday and 6 today the all have bloody necks some are missing just the head the rest stays there what that could be...i was wondering if rats would do this...it cant be anything big because there is no way they can go in.there might be some tiny holes i would say approx 1 inch..also it seems like only the black ones get killed.the white hens are still all there...hopefully someone can give me some idea on what it could be and also what i could do to prevent this? thanks in advance

2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    sounds like a weasle/mink to me..you will need to trap it or kill it as it will keep coming back until they are all gone

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    A raccoon will reach through a small opening and try to pull a bird through that opening.

A weasel can get through a small opening and kill a lot of chickens at a time.

A mink needs a larger opening than a weasel.

You need to really look that coop over for holes both in the walls, roof, and especially the floor.

Also all of the ventilation should be covered with nothing larger than 1/2 inch metal cloth.

4. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    thanks for all the help i would beleive its a weasel as a raccon cant get in and a mink also cant get in i look online for weasel and there saying they will attack on the back of the neck hopefully i can get it..is there any suggestion on how to kill or catch a weasel????

5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    We caught ours in a havaheart trap. Most people bait them with the dead chicken carcass. The one we caught just happened to wander into it. It will NOT be returning. They are very cute but very nasty creatures.

6. Kyle E

Kyle E Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Liberty, Pennsylvania
    It sounds like a weasel, I've had the same thing happen to me, weasel got in took the birds heads and left the bodys. I think either trap it or what with a light till it goes to strike again and shoot it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  7. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    thanks again

8. sens-5

Feb 17, 2010
    ontario canada
    you guys were right about a weasel..just got it this morning with a trap hopefully theres no more but wont take any chance lost approx. 23 chickens thanks for all the help folks

9. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    So sorry about all your losses but at least you got the little bugger. Keep setting traps - just in case. 22 is a high loss.

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Male territories overlap several female's territories but during other than mating season they won't tolerate each other

Female territories do not overlap with another female.

Weasels are rather antisocial.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by