Dead Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chirv, Feb 17, 2013.

1. chirv

chirv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    We have recently had 3 chickens die with injuries to their necks. We had two who had small injuries who have recovered. We do have a rooster and we're wondering if the rooster is doing the killing. A neighbor who thinks it may be a weasel. Would anyone have any advice. We have since taken the rooster out, but it's winter and don't want to be cruel to him. If it is the rooster he will be taken care of, but we want to be sure it's him.

Any advice?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I don't think it is the rooster. I think it is something like a weasel or a coon, or your fencing.

If the fencing is too large, chickens can stick their head through the opening, and panicking pull it back hard enough to scratch themselves. I have had that happen, but also, a predator can grab them and break their necks.

Once I had a weasel get in and kill 18, did not eat anything but they all had injuries to the neck.

Mrs. K

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've never had a rooster kill another bird. Neck wounds sure sounds like weasel!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    My vote is for weasel as well. Sorry about your lost chickens.

5. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I've heard of large rats doing the same. They can get into anything they can stick their head thru. Check for holes in the rafter area. They will often take a chicken's head off.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I vote weasel.

7. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi would a electric fance stop a weasel from getting in to the chicken coop do you think?

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    No. They can fit through very small holes in your fence or coop. They're small and don't need much of an opening to get in.

9. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year I had the exact same problem and also thought it was a weasel, but it turned out in my case to be the rooster. It turns out the "pullets" were young roosters and the rooster didn't want the cockerels around.

10. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

even if i get really small holed electric fance and put it around both the coop and the run so they can't get under the coop or in the run??? well buiding the coop we put chicken wire down first and then the floor, is that any help???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by