Dead chicks...seems to be the norm?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by celesta8, Feb 25, 2014.

1. celesta8

celesta8 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    I hate to be a repeater in the forum but Ive read a ton of threads and don't seem to be finding anything that may pertain to my girls. I got three girls three days ago and am down to one. Ive brought in two more so she isn't alone but Im concerned about all of them now. Ive read all the possibilities but they have vitamin electrolyte water, clean food readily available. Clean pine bedding. Heat lamp with thermometer staying about 95, sometimes reaching 100 F but the chickens are staying under it at that heat and its a cheap thermometer so Im weary if its really accurate. The other end of the brooder by the water is cooler, closer to 80F. Not sure what poo is supposed to look like but is is soft but shaped, not like a liquid. I see no blood in it. We check them every hour for poo on their bottoms and temperature. I feel like Im doing everything I can but Ive lost one a day so far. Im trying not to get attached but its hard when they are so adorable at this age. Are there ANY other ideas as to what can be going on? I called the place I got them and they said I was the only person to let them know of dead chicks which leads me to believe its me. HELP!!!!! Ill try anything!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes, you have something going on. How old are chicks and what are you feeding them/? Have you looked at Coccidiosis as possible problem,and NO blood does not always show in poop with cocci(only 2 strains show blood,the other 9 do not)

What type of heat lamp are you using make sure it has no telfon coating anywhere,as teflon is toxic to birds.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Something is definitely wrong. How are these chicks acting prior to dying? Are they slow or lethargic at all? Any other signs or symptoms?

4. celesta8

celesta8 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    The first was the most active of the girls. Very chirpy. We checked two hours later and she was the only one laying down. I picked her up and she allowed it. I gave her a half an eye dropper of water and she seemed to want it. I layed her back down. I checked on her about a half hour later and her breathing was labored. I wrapped her in a dishtowel and held her for about an hour while she died. The second who was the aggressive one, was fine at 5pm last night, alert chirping, walking. Checked at 7 and she was lethargic. I did the same with the water dropper and it chirped a bit and acted a little more lively. I put it back down and noticed how flaccid it was and it just laid there. I tried to irritate it to see if it would move and it wouldn't. It died sometime after 10pm last night.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Careful with the eyedropper as aspiration is possible. How old are they? I would start them on Corid(amprolium)for coccidiosis.

Purchase Corid(amprolium) or might be called Amprol(amprolium)depends where you live. Dose for Corid/Amprol 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Medicate ALL chicks for 5-7 days,make sure this is their only source of drinking water. Do not give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of coccidiostat to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete.

What are you feeding them?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You can certianly use medicated starter, but I really don't think a 1-2 day old chick in a brooder would have picked up enough cocci to kill them. I just don't see how that's possible.

I would move the light and let them cool down more, being 80 degrees at the coolest it still too warm imo. Either adjust the lamp, bigger space, whatever works best to give them a cooler area.

I wouldn't use an eye dropper, as mentioned that can cause aspiration.

Do you have a picture of your brooder set up?

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I agree. I think your brooder may be too hot. I start my chicks around 90 degrees, it goes a little lower if the temp fluctuates. Heat will kill them quicker than cold.

As mentioned earlier, you may also want to check the bulb in your heat lamp to make sure it isn't Teflon coated. The red brooder bulbs at my local Tractor Supply, sold specifically for chicks, are Teflon coated. When Teflon gets hot, it off gases. This gas is VERY toxic to birds, and its not good for people either. It can make you light headed, your stomach upset, you can pass out, it will kill your birds quickly (really makes you think about the convienience of that non stick pan, huh?). Anyway, typically Teflon bulbs are labeled heavy duty or shatter resistant, something like that.

I hope you figure out whats going on with them. Good luck.

8. celesta8

celesta8 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    I have another little one looking weak today. I will check the bulb and maybe raise it a bit. I talked to a lady in town with chickens and she said she never even had a thermometer. She just watched how they acted and they are sitting under the light most of the time which makes me believe its not too hot. We have also moved them into a much larger area so that they have more room to escape the heat. Ill keep you posted. Thank you so much!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. 1000yearoldeggs

1000yearoldeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    This might be a stupid question, but is there enough fresh air getting inside? I've seen some people who put a lid on their brooder and I think that's dangerous.
    They're small, but they still need to breathe some nice air. And yes, a picture would be good, if you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by