Dead Chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BarrettG, Feb 26, 2016.

1. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    So I'm in the Middle of the hatch and I come home to notice that there is about 8 chicks all in the incubator that are just laying there and seem like they're dead. I opened up the incubator and put one in my hands and it just seems lifeless it was breathing a little bit and churping but when I set them down in the incubator they just pop right over and lay down, all of them. I have the incubator at 85% humidity at 101 degrees. Are these poor things on their way out or are they just taking a big nap? I have done about 4-5 hatches and never seen anything like this. Usually they wake up and walk around when I tap the incubator. Please help

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2016
    Could they be too hot? I thought you were supposed to drop the temp during hatching.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    No, the temperature stays the same during hatch.

Have you got adequate ventilation in there, @BarrettG ?

4. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    I have no ventilation. There is no fan inside. I never had this happen but I usually take them out after about 3 hrs. I left some in for 24 this time

5. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    I'm trying to dip their head in water and all but they are lifeless taking little breaths :-(

I even put them in the brooder with the Eco glow

6. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Try nutridrench, sav a chick or sugar water, Gatorade pedialyte

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I swear by sav a chick in the water for the first couple of days.

But you're incubator should have open vents at hatch time. I don't leave my chicks in the bator unless they hatch over night and I am sleeping, but I have my vents open and have never had an issue like that.

8. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    I am down to 2 chicks and I think only one will make it. I think not leaving them in long is a good idea. I definitely will never leave them in 24 hrs again. They were all jumping around this morning. I have been putting save a chick every 30 minutes. Like I said in down to 2 :-( I lost about 4 Lavenders too

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's sad. I'm not a big fan of leaving chicks in the bator. Many people do and have fine results, but it's not for me. Too many variables that we can't judge. Dehydration being one of them. You just never know. Sorry to hear it.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you have holes for ventilation ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by