Dead chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wickedchickenn, Apr 10, 2017.

1. wickedchickenn

wickedchickenn New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    So a couple days ago I bought 2 baby chicks (the were probably a couple weeks old, they already had feathers on their wings) from my local farm store and my broody silkie adopted them without a problem. The silkie had already been sitting on 5 fertile eggs which were a few days over due so I decided to just buy a couple chicks and see what happened. Well, the first night the chicks had spent with their new mama went wonderful, s chick had even decided to hatch and greet its new friends! Last night, another chick decided to hatch and when I went to the coupe this morning to check on the little ones, one of the chicks I had bought and a newly hatched chick had passed away. When I went into the coupe, one of the chicks I had bought was sprawled out on the coupe completely wet, and the new baby looked like it had been squished because it was a little bit flat. I was a bit upset because I don't know why this happened, does anybody know why they died and if there's anything I could do o prevent something like this happening in the future? Thanks.

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    If they were sprawled out and flattened then it's highly likely the mother hen stood on them. It's very sad but it does happy. Once I had a hen hatch out 3 perfectly healthy chicks. The next morning I went out and all three had fallen out of the nest and had died of the cold. It was very upsetting :).
    Hopefully the other one you bought will be ok.
    -Jet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by