Dead chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GreenSpirit Hydro, Feb 5, 2009.

1. GreenSpirit Hydro

GreenSpirit Hydro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    I just made my 1st order of chicks from Mcmurray. All 25 were dead on arrival. What gives? Has this happened to anyone else? What killed them? They are sending more free of charge, but I am scarred it is gonna happen again. When you pick them up at the post office, will they be chirping and moving or will they all be sleeping or quite? Are the pretty vocal and mobile at that young of an age? Could the cold weather have killed them?

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    The cold weather, combine that with shipping stress and yes it does happen. They probably froze to death... just a guess on my part.

They should be chirping and making noise when you get the box. They are scared and usually hungry and sometimes cold... all things that make them vocal.

Hopefully the next batch survives !!!!!!!!!

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Happens when you order them during cold weather. I wait until March to order and haven't had that issue. A coworker couldn't wait and last week got a box with 3 of 30 still alive, not from McMurray. [​IMG]

4. GreenSpirit Hydro

Aug 22, 2008
    I didn't want to wait for spring. But if the next batch is dead, I guess I should tell them to wait until it warms. It sucked picking them up at the post office and giving them an immediate burial. I have never had chicks, but I most say the did look real cute!

5. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I am so sorry that this was your first experience with chicks! I had 1 die and I was so sad!

6. berti's birds

berti's birds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    elizabeth city nc
    I got an order from ideal last week and it was about 35 degrees here but all mine were chirping and hoping around. we only had six in the order but they stayed warm. Did yours come ups or did you have to pick them up at the post office? I had to pick mine up at 6:30 a.m. ugh !! the post office had put them in their office. I made sure I called them the day before to watch out for a live animal shipment coming in. good luck on your next batch.

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm so sorry about your loss! I have been going back and forth with ordering chicks for this very reason. I would like to have the choices in breeds (I usually by mine at the local feed store and take what they get in), but I know I couldn't handle it if I opened the box and saw dead chicks. I am way too sensitive when it comes to things like that, probably more than I should be but I can't help it. I am even having a hard time killing the mice we are having a problem with now! [​IMG]

8. GreenSpirit Hydro

Aug 22, 2008
    I had to pick them up at the post office. I am in SC so the weather is not frigid. I am not sure how they fly them in w/ out them freezing. If a plane is 30,000 feet in the air then it would have to be negative -40 degrees at that altitude. One had its eyes open, but was not moving so I buried her alive w/ her sisters . It really was sad! I f I get them alive next week (mid feb) could I have eggs by the 4th of July? Or is that wishful thinking? I got rhode island reds, black stars and red stars.

9. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I can't even imagine having opened that box- how incredibly sad. I am sorry. [​IMG]

10. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    just call th p.o. and file a claim and contact mcmurray they will usually replace them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by