1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dead chicks....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by New chicken family, May 18, 2007.

1. New chicken family

New chicken family Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    We lost our first Buff Oroington pullet when she was just 1 week old. OK, that I can handle. But now we lost another BO pullet at 2 1/2 weeks. They all were doing great until yesterday when we noticed that one was listless. We held her to keep her warm, fed her allittle plain yogut and some pedi-a-lyte. When I felt her she was just skin and bones. So I am sure she was not eating for days..... She also had red/orange mucsuosy stool. Is that coccidosis? We cleaned the cage, I change and wash the waterer daily, and started the rest of our pullets on medicated feed just in case. Now that we have started them on medcated feed - must i contunue with it? Or can I stop it later? I want hormone- and antibiotic-free eggs - that's whay we got chickens!!!!

Help!
    This is really hard on the kids.

Thanks.

2. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Yes that is exactly what that is. I feed mine medicated feed till the danger is past then go straight back to regular. I don't like continous medication to my birds. I don't want them immune to it if I need it again. I would medicate them for a week or ten days then stop. If it returns then do it again.

Good Luck

Arklady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by