Dead Cornish this Morning green belly?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stanglover2001, Aug 12, 2010.

1. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    So this morning I went out to feed my 23 cornish's, had 26 lost 3 to lack of water on a hot day (my fault [​IMG] ) well I went out there and was moving the tractor looked in to make sure they were going to move they're fat butts and saw a dead chicken. Well they're 7.5 weeks old and it rained here last night and I left the fan on (oops [​IMG] ). DH thinks he got cold, I think he got trampled or drowned (they're afraid of water). Well I finished tending to the live ones since they were hungry and gave em clean water etc. Picked up the dead one and his lower belly was GREEN?? [​IMG] I can get a photo of it but didn't really want to touch it again. [​IMG]
    ANYWAY, anyone think that maybe his green bile sack ruptured?? His skin is green, and I don't think it's from grass. [​IMG] He'd been dead for awhile he was all sorts of dark red and cold [​IMG]
    Any ideas if this could have been why he died?

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I wonder if it just looked green because of the blood accumulated under the skin and from sitting there in the heat? It may look green because of the skin color?
    I lost 3 of our broilers this week too due to the heat. 2 of them we my 12-year olds birds for the fair that we just washed the night before and he was all excited. He ended up taking two lesser birds and got a blue, but it has not been his year.
    I think one of mine had that same green look to its belly. Maybe its heart exploded, goodness knows with those freak birds.
    Good luck with the rest.

3. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Quote:Well, if it were hot outside I'd understand... but it was cool last night and this morning from the rain. I dunno, just didn't look right (he was very green where someone would cut to degut him so ??? [​IMG] ) and it was all over the fatty area down there, it was very noticeable and it wasn't in just a small area it was all over the area under the breasts between the legs... [​IMG] I guess as long as I can keep most of them alive til this weekend (our butcher day) we're gonna butcher most of the roosters they've hit 5 lbs and up now.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    That's fairly common when things die. Bacteria in the gut starts to decay the meat/flesh.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Green was probably the pooling of blood under the skin and a combo of decay setting in/necrotic tissue.

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I had a pullet last year that the coons got her wing just a couple of weeks before butcher day and her whole 'under arm' area was green like you described. We didn't see it right away and I just thought it was infection setting in under the skin.
    Whatever causes it, I think it is pretty common and not anything to worry over.

Dead is Dead.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've read of people having CX with green wing tips and green flesh along the breast bone from lack of circulation. When they lie on their chests all the time, this creates pressure areas of tissue that dies from lack of oxygen. Could be your bird died from gangrene to this area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by