1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead ducklings shipment

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jobeis, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jobeis

jobeis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I tried hatching duck eggs and failed, probably due to fertility issues. So I ordered ducklings from a hatchery and 2 arrived dead. Part of it was my fault because I didn't inquire to see if they outsourced their orders to anyone. I chose a hatchery that was near my state but the ducklings came from the West Coast. They were shipped on Monday and arrived this morning at 4:30 a.m. I picked them up as soon as I got a call. I also did not order their recommended order so they provided a heat pack and I thought that would be ok if it was shipped from a close hatchery, not the West coast. They could have died from being too cold, and that is partly my fault again.

The hatchery is going to refund or replace the ducklings so it's ok but I am very surprised that any survived. I thought the general rule of thumb was 2-3 days without water/food. Theoretically, they were hatched late Sunday/early Monday, wouldn't they be? Do the hatcheries have them in a brooder for several hours to dry off before they ship them? Do they provide them with any nutrients before they ship?

I didn't ask but now I am curious. The lady said Thursday is the latest they should arrive (today) and they ship all the time so I guess most of them do make it. Just curious as to your thoughts on shipping babies and their survival rates.

2. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Mine arrived from mcmurray hatchery yesterday. Overnight shipping (but boy, you pay for it.)
    They're based in IA I think but the package I got came from CA, similar to your situation. It's the second order I've gotten from them and though I'm always afraid that some won't make it so far they have.

Honestly, I don't think anything other than overnight or next day shipping would be a good idea for ducklings. As I understand it they ship the ducklings the same day they're born, but I'm not positive. Wish I had more answers for you, but I'm sure others will.

Hope your next ones arrive okay.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ours arrived via next-day shipment, to the east coast from the west, and everyone was okay.

And it was February.

4. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Exactly a year ago I ordered through californiahatchery.com. Minimum order was two and one of two was dead. It was smaller, skinny, feathers were matted and looked sick. The other one was fluffy and full of life! A year old and she's still very happy and very spoiled! I will never order from them again though because they are an outsource business. I will order from an online hatchery but they have to hatch their own.

5. jobeis

Mar 4, 2013
    Mine came from McMurray too and I ordered 4 from them because they were so close and provided a heat pack. I didn't realize they outsourced. I would've arranged for next day shipment if I knew that.

My poor little cayuga and mallard didn't make it. They were fluffy, looked healthy enough (even though they were dead) so I'm thinking it was the cold or too long without food/water. But who knows? It just seems too long in transit.

6. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Oh, wow. Maybe I won't order from them again, then :(

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm sorry for the loss. If they shipped Monday and didn't arrive until today they took too long. You should receive them within 2 days. So they should have gotten to you yesterday. Ducklings are able to continue absorbing their yolk sac and survive on the nutrition from it for 2 days. I would keep a close eye on the others. Get some sav a chick from the feed store. They too will have had a hard trip so you want to ensure that they have the best available care.

They will have hatched monday. Most hatcheries are going to have them fluffed up, sorted and packaged that morning. They don't provide feed/water. I would call McMurray. They will reimburse you. I would also inquire about the shipping from the west coast. I was not aware that they outsource.

8. jobeis

Mar 4, 2013
    But you specified overnight and I only specified priority so that was my problem I think. I think the transit time was just too long.

Thank you. I do have some sav a chick that I put in the water immediately. I also didn't leave for work until I had them eating and drinking and pooping under the heat lamp. I will make sure to keep a close eye on those two.

That's what I thought about the survival time. That's why I was surprised when the lady said they guarantee priority shipping by Thursday, it just seems too long for them to survive. I did call McMurray and they immediately reimbursed me for the 2 ducklings and 1/2 of shipping. I would've taken them replacing the ducklings but they are for a science fair project and wouldn't get here in time :(

Now I know they outsource, if I ever use them again, I will make sure to inquire where they come from and choose the correct shipping speed. If they came from IA, priority would've gotten to me by Wednesday at the latest but most likely Tuesday.

9. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Metzer Farms hatches their own. I highly recommend ordering from them if you're going to get ducklings from a large hatchery.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Again, I'm sorry. I am very surprised that they said priority by Thursday. I had ducklings shipped from Metzer in CA to me when I lived in west central FL. They shipped on Tuesday (monday was a holiday) and arrived Thursday am.

My first thought when reading your post was postal delay. I have one of their catalogs and it says for chicks: January 28-July 8 they hatch on "the weekend" to arrive at your local PO on Monday. July 15-October 28 They hatch on Monday for arrival Tuesday- Saturday. SATURDAY really. For ducks they hatch and ship Mon, Tues, Wed for arrival Tues-Fri. Wow I don't think I'd ever order from them just for that reason. I've only ever ordered from Metzer and they hatch and ship on Mondays unless monday is a holiday. I wonder how many losses McMurray has because of their policies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by