Dead Ducks….. WARNING: Graphic… what could have done this?

bmalinois

Chirping
Jan 24, 2017
I’ve had 3 of my females killed in the last week. One died yesterday morning and one last night. The photo in the day time was taken this morning. We had our ducks locked up last night as always and I only found 2 of the 3 this morning. So something went in the coop and killed her and dragged her over to Neighboors wood pile. Marmots live in this wood pile but I don’t see a marmot killing a duck. The heads were ripped off and the only blood or opening was on the back. Nothing on the bellies etc. I just bought these two sweet girls to replace the one a bear had taken a few weeks back 😞 What predator kills this way and only eats the back? All 3 that have died keep getting taken to this spot on my neighbors property. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• E37DCF25-2A73-4708-AC52-E4C88DB03E8B.jpeg
    E37DCF25-2A73-4708-AC52-E4C88DB03E8B.jpeg
    936.1 KB · Views: 69
  • C43BCC80-48AC-4318-B3B7-65B37A843041.jpeg
    C43BCC80-48AC-4318-B3B7-65B37A843041.jpeg
    710.2 KB · Views: 61
Check for large gaps, or holes where an animal can get in?
What types of locks do you use to latch the door?
I did notice a small whole forming by the door which I’m assuming is how it got in and out! We are fixing that tonight. I don’t know the name of the lock we use but as of now have now not had any issues with them. We have the same locks for the chicken coop but whatever this is is only interested in my ducks. They haven’t touched my chickens which are in another coop

Marmots are omnivores which like to eat grasses and seeds. They are closely Related to squirrels, and are not likely eating your ducks... but do carry diseases that you definatly dont want your livestock picking up.
Depending on the size of the gap or hole in your coop, this sounds like racoon or possum.
Trapping this critter will be short term fix.
Secure all your coops of all gaps or holes over one inch.
We all have preditors 24/7/365
Kill one and 7 more come to the funeral.
Sorry about your poor ducks.
This is a least weasel. If he gets in your chicken coop, he will kill everything, and eat very little.
download.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom