Dead Ducks. Any idea whay could have done this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Sep 25, 2012.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I have (had) 4 indian runners and 2 were just found dead. 1 with its head completely off and the other with a broken neck and half eaten. They have been in the same location for 2 years with no problems. I have neighbors on all sides of my back yard and the ducs have a raised house and shade area. I leave them out at night because I have never had problems in 2 years and they always put them selves to bed in the house at night. Any idea what could have done this in my type of area? I know I will be locking my 2 that are left in the house each night now.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    First, I want to say I am sad to read about your loss. Awful.
    [​IMG]
    Sounds like it could have been a raccoon. You might try a post on the predators and pests forum. Once a predator finds a flock, it returns, generally speaking.

Make sure the house is fortified, no gaps larger than half an inch. Metal hardware cloth helps, and I set up a small electric fence for the outdoor house that zapped at least a couple of raccoons.

3. featherfinder

I have not seen a raccoon in my neighborhood in 10+ years. I hope they are not back! My duck house is a double dog house converted with all vents sealed in hardware cloth and a lock on a swinging door. I just hope nothing comes for them during the day. [​IMG] I dont even know how I am going to bury them. I dont have the stomach to look again... [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm so sorry to hear this FeatherFinder [​IMG]. It defiantly sounds like a coon which shouldn't come back during the day.

5. featherfinder

[​IMG] Thank you Kevin and Amiga.

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    In my experience coons seem to stick around for awhile once they have found a meal. You might consider leaving out a trap to try to catch him.

7. featherfinder

What kind of trap do you think works best? Do you think they will be safe if I still let them out during the day and lock them up when the sun starts to go down?

8. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Most people down here use the havahart live trap. They seem to be able to catch them fairly easily with the right bait. They should be fine during the day. The only time I've seen a coon during the day it was either a female with babies or rabid.

9. featherfinder

Ok. I will look into it. Thank you!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    D you think Animal control would put out a trap? or maybe let you borrow one? This is so sad, I am so sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by