Dead/Dying turkeys

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DragonClaw01, Mar 19, 2015.

1. DragonClaw01

DragonClaw01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    I've always had issues with turkeys, are they more prone to illness and weakness?

The turkey that's still alive is curling up and rocking back on its heels. Is it stargazing syndrome or mareks? Something else?

I've started giving him gatorade and separated him from the rest. He won't stay up and flops on his side his mostly. What should I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I know very little about turkeys, but I would look at what I was feeding them, making sure they were getting a good game bird feed with the right amount of protein and vitamins. There can be infectious diseases in flocks where they can continuously infect new chicks from carriers. Mareks is mostly a chicken disease, but in some parts of the world it has be know to infect turkeys. I would use a good poultry vitamin in the water, along with a good brand name gamebird feed. If you have a death, take the refrigerated carcass to the state vet for a necropsy to find the cause of death.

3. DragonClaw01

DragonClaw01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    He didn't make it. :(

I seem incapable of caring for poults.
    Keets, goslings, ducklings, chicks, yes.

Does it cost money to take them to the vet for autopsy?
    I don't have money for that, if the rest of my chicks seemed sick, I would, but every year it's the turkeys and the turkeys only. Sick, weak, etc.

We did have one bad batch of chicks from Tractor Supply.
    They had Roll-Over and then proceeded to roll over and die taking some of our other chicks with them.

The rest of the chicks seem now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by