Dead/dying young turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Must Be Losing It, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    My friend/neighbor is raising 6 turkeys and came home this afternoon to find 3 dead and one not looking too well. They're young turkeys about 2 1/2 mos old. The chicken that lives with them is just fine and dandy and nothing got in the pen as there is no sign of mauling, etc.

Leads one to think its something they ate. What is toxic to turkeys?

2. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Chicken droppings can be.

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

That's terrible news!
    I have only a book on turkeys no experience, yet, but chicken poop is bad when mixed with turkeys. unfortunately chickens harbor several things that they are fine with but turkeys not so much.

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    sorry about the babies

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Is it only when hey are poults or full grown as well?

6. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

My first thought with turkeys is always cocci They can get it at any age
    I wouldn't suspect black head(Histomonas meleagridis)at this point....

botulism is a possibility and it can kill chickens as well as turkeys,,bad or moldy food is where it will start.

need to here any symptoms that are being seen..

Charlie

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    How old are the turkeys? Are they heritage breeds or commercial breeds? Commercial would be Broad Breasted Whites or Broad Breasted Bronzes.

Baby turkeys must have grit or they will die. They also need a LOT of protein when they are young. I forget the percentage but you can look it up. I feed my babies hard-boiled egg yolks the first weeks to give them the extra protein, and because I have lots of extra eggs around.

Turkey's immune systems are not very strong until they are 7-8 weeks old and they frequently don't do well on soil (meaning if they have lots of dirt to eat). this seemed strange to me, but when I put lots of hay under my baby turkeys -- it helped and they didn't get sick.

8. wilds of pa

Few tips on keeping soil free from most bacteria and insects(vectors)..

What we like to do is use hydrated lime on are flight runs, when we move our wild eastern turkeys into a new area, the old flight pen is blasted with hydrated lime..tilled in..then after a few weeks the flight pen is seeded again and once the plants grow in well.. the birds are move back onto the newly treated area and the process starts all over again on the dirty run area.

Now you do not want your birds on the hydrated lime until after a few weeks for it to do what it does. It will burn there feet.

I found using this method keeps the bacteria levels down and earth worms and other insects dont like it..When you raise any birds that are confined for long periods on the same soil you must have a plan to rid the soil of vectors....

Lawn lime helps some what with smell and will not hurt there feet if there allowed on it right away..Lawn lime will also help sweeten the soil to from what i know..

Charlie

9. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    The three that remain seem completely fine. What I hear is that before my neighbor went away for the night to a wedding he gave them a bunch of toast left over from a local diner. The farmer he bought them from is suggesting the turkeys that died (who happened to be the three largest) may have over done it on the toast and when they drank water it expanded and killed them. Any one heard of this before?

10. wilds of pa

I wouldnt think that would happen..But i quess anything is possible..??

Charlie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by