Dead embryo at day 10 - pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozbirds, Jan 29, 2014.

1. ozbirds

ozbirds New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    Hi,
    I'm a first time wannabe egg hatcher but my set-up isn't very good. I don't have a thermostat and so have to manually regulate the temperature. There have been some ups and downs but 10 of the 11 eggs I set 10 days ago are still alive and moving around in there. :D
    One wasn't though, so I took it out to have a look. Can anyone see any reason it might have died. It was a smallish egg from full size hens but I have a smaller one that's still going.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    it was lacked by system of viens

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    According to my troubleshooting guide embryo mortality at this stage is usually caused by improper incubation conditions: temperature too high or too low, incorrect humidity again too high, or too low, insufficient ventilation (lack of oxygen in the incubator), or inadequate turning of the egg(s). Another possible cause is insufficient nutrients in the breeder's diet, resulting in insufficient nutrients in the egg to sustain the embryo. This thread also explains some causes of embryo mortality (Please note: graphic pics): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/363717/eggtopsy-what-happened-to-my-egg-graphic-pictures/0_30

Hope that helps!

4. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Ten out of 11 is real good with no thermostat

1 person likes this.
  5. ozbirds

ozbirds New Egg

Jan 29, 2014

Thanks!
    I had some temperature fluctuations so it's not surprising really. I'm just wondering if the other eggs are damage too and are going to die. I guess I'll just have to wait.

I seem to have been able to sort the temperature out now with the help of a dimmer switch. But is the damage already done?

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That depends on highest the temperature was and how long it stayed there. Temperature spikes early on during incubation can cause eye development problems, later in the incubation foot and leg problems, etc. If the core temperature of the egg goes up to 103*F it can kill the embryo, so over heating the eggs should be avoided. That being said, I've accidentally overheated eggs in the past and got away with it, so [​IMG] your chicks will be o.k!

7. ozbirds

ozbirds New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    Another two dead ones today. :(

Lessons have been learned. I'll do better next time.

8. ozbirds

ozbirds New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    All the embryos I've cracked open are red where as photos I've seen of embryos at around 11 days are pale. Is this due to decomposition or an abnormality?

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm so sorry! The red colour I'm afraid I can't tell you, but I would guess decomp? You're braver than me, I never eggtopsy. I'm too squeamish!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by