Dead Embryo....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 15, 2012.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Okay..
    Today is Day 13th and I recandled them tonight (i'm slowing down on candling them...i used to candle morning and night and now i only candle night).

I have 2 eggs that aren't growing.
    the embryos have no movement...no growth and it seems like one of the embryos got scrambled.

I decided to take pictures the best i could. this is what i got.

[​IMG]
    and

[​IMG]

not too sure if you can see it.
    but the air sack hasn't grown since earlier this week. the embryo hasn't moved. compared to the other ones.
    I saw a foot (or perhaps it was a beak) this evening which was very exciting 2 see.

wut is ur opinion about the egg above?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I can't really tell anything by the picture, but I would suggest you slow down on the candling. The more you handle the eggs, the more chance there is of damaging them.

3. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I did cut back on candling them.
    I used to candle them morning and night. but now i candled 1x at night and leave them alone.
    Today will be last time i candle until the 18th right before i do lock down.

but the 2 eggs that seem dead here are the symptoms

- they don't weigh as much as the rest
    - they both have a blood vein around the middle of the egg
    - the embryo's don't move
    - the air sack hasn't grown
    - the one egg the embryo looks like it got scrabbled and only moves when i move the egg itself.

compared to the rest of the eggs where there is movement, veins move / chick moves... it weighs more.

But what do i do with the eggs that seem dead? I don't want to run the chance of them exploding & ruin the other eggs.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yeah... by "cut back on candling", I meant cut back from candling every night, to once, maybe twice a week. The less you handle them the better. Take the dead ones out and throw them away. There is no point in keeping them in the incubator any longer.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, just toss the duds.

If it's your first time hatching, just candle on day 5/6 and again on day 18 before you "lock down".

6. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by