Dead Embryos

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Mcubero, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Mcubero

Mcubero New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Hi, I would appreciate if someone could help me solve the problem I have hatching peachicks. I have placed more than 30 eggs on a Lyon TX6 auto rotating incubator and have been able to hatch only about 6 chicks. Most of them die as a fully develop embryo. After more than 30 days in the incubator I opened the eggs to figure out what had happened and there they were, a fully developed dead peachick. What could I be doing wrong ?
    Thanks,
    Mario

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC. Can you tell us more about your incubator and what temp and humidity you used?

-Kathy

3. Mcubero

Mcubero New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Hi,
    Yes I used 99.5 Degrees and a humidity of about 55%. After the 26th day, temp was lowered to 98 and humidity raised to 60% I tried on two different incubators. A hovabator with automatic turner and on a Lyon TX-6 autoturn, and the results were almost as bad ( Hovabator was worst than LYon)

Our ( Costa Rica, Central America) Breeding season starts in February, so I want to be prepared this year and hopefully have more success.
    Thanks for all help.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do both of those have fans?

-Kathy

5. Mcubero

Mcubero New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    The Hovabator does not have a Fan but the Lyon does have a fan.

The few chicks that hatched were week and needed help to crack open the egg shell.

They had to be pulled out. I believe the others died because they were not stong enough to open the egg.

Thanks,

Mario

6. Mcubero

Mcubero New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    I placed some of the eggs of the same peahen under a regular hen and had a 70% hatching success .

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I am not an expert, far from it, but I think that you're supposed to run incubators without fans at 102 degrees, not 99.5, and FWIW, I get much better hatches when I keep my humidity no higher than 45%.

-Kathy

8. Mcubero

Mcubero New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Kathy,
    The experience that you mention, with humidity at 45% is with peafowl eggs or chicken eggs ?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Peafowl and duck eggs.

-Kathy

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    The most common cause of this problem is temperature related. You need to get a very reliable and sensitive thermometer make sure the temperature is correct.

The hovabator is a still air. here are some instructions for using a still air:

https://extension.illinois.edu/eggs/res19-opincubator.html

Do not trust the thermometer that comes with the incubator. Brinsea sells a spot check that is very good.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by