Dead female guinea fowl.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ejcacere1, Aug 4, 2018.

1. ejcacere1

ejcacere1 Hatching

Aug 4, 2018
    My wife has had chickens,ducks and now guineas since little and loves her animals. Today we came home,one of the females was acting normal and then suddenly the bird started convulsing and flailing about and died right in front of our eyes. She gives them fresh water 2 a day, they free range get feed with organic feed and millet and live in a heated and ventilated coup. Is sudden death syndrome a possibility with guineas?

2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome to BYC! Could it have been the heat or maybe something like an insect bit her?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - sorry for the circumstances and your loss. Sudden death occurs in poultry and can be the result of a heart attack or sometimes a fatty liver condition. Such deaths are generally not the result of an infectious agent. Choking can also cause sudden death as can a blow to the head.

R2elk and PollyGirl21 like this.
  4. ejcacere1

ejcacere1 Hatching

Aug 4, 2018
    I don't know about the heat,we've come through some hot and humid weather lately. These birds come from Africa where it's hot as well. Thank you for your response.

5. ejcacere1

ejcacere1 Hatching

Aug 4, 2018
    Can a male peck at the back of the head of the female and break her neck? Thx for the response.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I doubt that a peck to the back of the neck would have that effect unless the bird had some sort of congenital defect.

7. ejcacere1

ejcacere1 Hatching

Aug 4, 2018
    Thanks for your thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: