1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. old chickenlady

old chickenlady New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    one of my americana hens has had a broken or dead leg for a few months now..she hobbles around enough to feed and protect herself.any ideas to help her get around better?? the only advice i can get is wring her neck,,

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Plenty of people have a disabled chicken. I have a crippled hen, myself. It's unlikely that even a vet could do anything about it.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Not quite sure what a 'dead leg' is, but I have had upon occasion chickens with frozen feet or toes . The injured parts become necrotic, dry up, eventually fall off and the chicken hobbles along happily for the rest of her life. If she is eating, drinking, getting around and not being abused by the others, I'd leave her alone. If conditions deteriorate, then you could always "wring her neck."

4. old chickenlady

old chickenlady New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    ty for replying,everyone tells me noone keeps a crippled chicken and that its cruel..

5. old chickenlady

old chickenlady New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    i just came up with the name.she is happy healthy and deffinately holds her own thank you for your advice. what is frozen foot ?

6. When they get frost bitten and their foot literally " slides " off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by