1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead guinea hens

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by shelley21, Oct 27, 2015.

1. shelley21

shelley21 New Egg

Oct 27, 2015
    I'm going to guess my guinea hens were about 4 months old. They were in a fenced coop when I got them about 2months ago. I kept them in at night and would put them out during the day. When my coop was done being built i put them in it. The first dsy i put them in it they were fine . But at about 11pm when i checked on them one was dead and the other died within 10 min.it was prob around 55 degrees f . I also had 2 barramas out there of the same age. They had been raised all together. The female barrama seemed a bit lethargic also but i brought her in and put her under a heat lamp n she seems ok now. What could it have been ? Too cold. Something scare them to death? I had a light in the pen. A 40 watt light. It's a large pen so they w ernt trapped under the light

2. ctc084

ctc084 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    Is it by chance a 'shatter-proof' bulb? I recall reading somewhere that they (can't remember specifics) marketed a shatter proof bulb coated with Teflon, I believe, that gave off a toxic gas to poultry.

Doesn't provide a lot of closure, I know. But a thought nonetheless.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    It definitely sounds like poisoning, either inhalation, ingestion, or even absorption.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by