Dead Hen . . . any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chowder, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Chowder

Chowder Out Of The Brooder

So this morning I went out to check on the hens and "Red" was dead. Bottom of the coop in the outside area - like she was laying down and head down. Looked her over - no apparent wounds. In great condition and health - saw her yesterday afternoon and she still looked as beautiful and healthy as EVER! So confused . . . any ideas? The other hens look good too - but now I am worried.

Also - should I toss her eggs from the last week or so in case it was some sort of illness? Should I toss all the hens eggs?

Never gone through this before . . . not quite sure what to think or do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    As I just learned yesterday with my girl...they can die for internal reasons. It is suspected mine died from a twisted intestine or cardiac failure. she was fine one minute and lethargic the next.

Check your other girls, look at the stools and then decide. The eggs should be fine though.

Sadly, sometimes it is just their time.

3. Chowder

Chowder Out Of The Brooder

Thank you for your response.

Yeh - she seemed totally healthy and the other two are fine still - so we are just going to watch them. We would like to replace her - but we are going to wait. She wasn't even a year old - very sad.

Does anyone else have a take on the eggs? Should we throw them away - just in case - or since she didn't show signs of being sick - are the eggs okay to eat?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Eggs are probably fine. Not much you can get from eggs and if she was sick, biggest concern are the meds you use to treat them with.

I'd use them, just cooked and not in something like egg nog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by