Dead Hen.. Confused. Any Advice.??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WeeNicole, Dec 2, 2013.

1. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Ok so around two weeks ago we noticed one of our june hatched was acting a little strange.. Symptoms -

1. Standing around (looking depressed)
    2. Fluffed up feathers
    3. Closing eyes
    4. Falling over - then not being able to stand back up (paralysis?)
    5. When picked back up and stood steady she was then ok and able to walk around as normal.
    6. Not sitting down, just sleeping on one leg.

Was also unable to get up or out the way when the other birds would trample the poor wee girl.

So anyway we brought her indoors and give her some TLC, then all of a sudden she perked up - looks great, feathers wernt puffed up or nothing so left her a while and put her back with the rest again for a run.

Walked in yesterday to feed them and shocker - she was lying dead on the floor, on her side legs stretched out!

Worried about my flock now, they have no symptoms of any illness like hers (YET). but im anxious.

I have 3 different age groups - here, the oldest to be took in was a rooster, and 3 old hens as their other owner gave up on his poultry... Around the time that she fell ill - coincidence? Like i say though all other birds are healthy.

Anyone who can shed even the smallest light on this - i will be soo gratful.

2. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Oh and she was eating and drinking as normal as to what i saw.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. Sounds like to me it could possibly be Mareks disease. Mareks can be as subtle as a limp or droopy wing to as agressive as full blown paralysis. Its usually characterized by out streatched legs. What happens is the body produces tumors and those sit on nerves causing limps paralysis and death. There is no way of knowing if it was mareks without testing the body. IF it was mareks it does not mean your other birds will get symptoms. But it does mean those exposed can be silent carriers.meaning they have no symptoms themselves but can still infect other birds. Mareks is litterly everwhere and is a highly contagious air borne disease. Do you know if she was vaccinated for mareks? It also could have been a vitamin defiency causing her symptoms. There is really no way to know without testing her body. If at all possible I would test her to see exactly what your dealing with if possible. Do look up mareks and its symptoms and see what YOU think. I wish you the very best and hope this is helpful. Again I'm very sorry for your loss.

4. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    thanks for your reply... You have more confirmed my suspicion on it being mareks [​IMG] Ive read alot of stuff on here and over google and it does sound like thats what it was, so posting on here was a last attempt of hope for someone to say another possible cause.. (sad i know)

Well i know its soo hard to tell but now im near 100% sure its the dreadded Mareks. Will be devastated if i loose my flock espec my own wee chicks [​IMG]

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  6. WeeNicole

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks - i had a look yesterday on that topic.. brilliant thread.

Many Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by