Dead Hen - Do I worry about the others?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jboudreau, Aug 14, 2011.

1. jboudreau

jboudreau Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    We had a chicken die tonight - I "think" due to worms - by the time I realized what was ailing her - it was too late. I did give her dewormer, but again, too late. Anyway, she was separate from the other girls for a couple of days. The other girls aren't showing any signs - but do I treat them for worms?

2. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    If she had worms, the others do, too. You need to treat them all before anyone else gets that sick. She might've been too far along to save, but if that's what killed her, the others will get sicker, too. Don't forget to to *not* eat eggs for the prescribed time.

sj

3. jboudreau

Apr 9, 2011
    How do I know if she really had worms? or not. I am just guessing here.

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Chickens with worm overload so bad that death occurs will generally show some signs of illness prior to death, such as weight and feather loss, pale comb, slowed or no egg production, and general ill thrift. You may or may not see evidence of worms in the chicken's poop. I agree with the post that if you suspect your chickens have worm overload, all should be treated. If there were no obvious signs of illness before death it could have been due to a laying issue. How old was your hen and what were her symptoms before she died?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. jboudreau

Apr 9, 2011
    She was weak, lost weight, pale comb - I did give her a de-wormer yesterday but obviously it was too late. I will treat all hens now. From what I've been reading, it's better to just treat routinely. Right?

6. jboudreau

Apr 9, 2011
    oh and she completely stopped laying about a month ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by