Dead hen, head left beside body..no blood....any ideas?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by southdakota, Apr 17, 2012.

1. southdakota

southdakota Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    I have 30 acres in the middle of nothing...no trees, no cover of any kind for predators to hide in. I have been very fortunate for three years having lost only one hen in all that time.
    Yesterday, I found one of my pullets out in the middleof the pasture...the magpies were picking at her. There were feathers about 8 feet from the house, then a few piles of feathers in a line out about 100 to 150 feet in the pasture...her poor little carcass was there
    her head was about a foot from the body and her entrails were exposed where the magpies had been picking at her. No blood near any of the feather piles..no whitewash anywhere I could see and I am thinking if it had been a hawk or an eagle they would have taken the caracass.
    Any ideas what predator would do this? I will keep the girls in the coop today and they will not be pleased, as they normally free range from dawn to dusk.
    Strangely, I had two guineas go into the coop last night...they have never been in that coop before, as they have their own stall coop in the barn.
    Thank you.

2. southdakota

southdakota Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010

3. docmarkc

docmarkc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    From what I have read (And may be experiencing) that is weasel behavior. Kill by biting the neck, then open the neck usually by removing the head and lap the blood, then go in through the neck hole and eat internal organs followed lastly by the breast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by