Dead hen, I think EYP

Symphony

Vanilla, Little Airt Airt
8 Years
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
A super hero chicken's coop!
I found a dead hen in the feild. Her abdomem was hard and swollen, so I figured it's EYP. But I did a necropsy anyway. When I cut her open; where her eggs should have been were a bunch of water sacks. Is this EYP?

Last edited:
It means an inflamation of the peritoneum, the lining of the abdomen. Egg Yolk Peritonitis is when the peritoneum (the lining of the abdomen) becomes inflamed due to an infection from bacteria.

In some older hens or high production hens, the cloaca becomes "loose" so that when she lays an egg, some feces are sucked back into the oviduct and start an ecoli infection and inflamation of the oviduct. That is called salpingitis and starts a cycle of infection, with egg yolks and solidified infection backing up and clogging the oviducts. Yolks can also drop into the abdomen and "cook" there, called internal laying. They can happen simultaneously, so you find both in a hen who has died.

So many related malfunctions look the same from the outside of a hen, but most all result in death eventually, and are pretty much unpreventable. Often, these infections are accompanied by fluid buildup in the abdomen as well. Sometimes, ovarian cancers will have fluid like that, plain old ascites can occur, heart and kidney failure can show water in the abdomen, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by water sacks exactly. Did water just gush when you opened her up or what?

Last edited:
It means an inflamation of the peritoneum, the lining of the abdomen. Egg Yolk Peritonitis is when the peritoneum (the lining of the abdomen) becomes inflamed due to an infection from bacteria.

In some older hens or high production hens, the cloaca becomes "loose" so that when she lays an egg, some feces are sucked back into the oviduct and start an ecoli infection and inflamation of the oviduct. That is called salpingitis and starts a cycle of infection, with egg yolks and solidified infection backing up and clogging the oviducts. Yolks can also drop into the abdomen and "cook" there, called internal laying. They can happen simultaneously, so you find both in a hen who has died.

So many related malfunctions look the same from the outside of a hen, but most all result in death eventually, and are pretty much unpreventable. Often, these infections are accompanied by fluid buildup in the abdomen as well. Sometimes, ovarian cancers will have fluid like that, plain old ascites can occur, heart and kidney failure can show water in the abdomen, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by water sacks exactly. Did water just gush when you opened her up or what?

No, you know how when you open a healthy hen that still has some eggs, you'll see all the egg yolks in the assembly line? Well, these were all in the "assembly line" except they were filled with water, not the yellow yolky stuff. It was really creepy looking because it looked like a whole bunch of bubbles sitting in her, except they were hard to break.

I did find some "cooked" looking egg in her abdomen.

Back
Top Bottom