Dead hen- odd circumstances- predator or chicken issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbrajdich, Nov 29, 2016.

1. jbrajdich

jbrajdich Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    [​IMG]All,
    Today during the day around noon my rooster was making a lot of unusual continued noises and I went outside to see what was going on. The girls and rooster were out free ranging and I could see from a distance that my polish hen was laying face down and not moving. The other chickens seemed to be scattered and rooster running around making a lot of noise. I picked up the polish hen and found no obvious injuries, no missing feathers and the only thing that appeared to be wrong.. was that there was no longer any skin on her waddles.

Is this something the other hens may have pecked her to death? Or a predator like a dog? I've never seen anything quite like this.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It is not very likely that it was the other chickens.

3. jbrajdich

Oct 13, 2016
    Thank you. Dog then? We've had fox trouble but I'd imagine a fox would have taken her with.

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Generally a dog messes things up pretty bad - chicken wet from mouthing, feathers scattered around. The chickens running around nervous and the rooster vocalizing make me wonder if maybe she was attacked by a hawk that left at your approach.

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd be concerned that if it is a predator it may return tomorrow. Can you keep them penned up just in case ?

6. jbrajdich

Oct 13, 2016
    I hadn't even thought of that's That's a good ifea. Yes they can be in their coop tomorrow certainly.

7. jbrajdich

Oct 13, 2016
    Thanks so much for the reply

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you choose to let them out, just stay with them and monitor their free ranging. Predators are creatures of habit, and if it returns it may be around the same time as today.

9. jbrajdich

Oct 13, 2016
    Wonderful idea. Thank you!

10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any more problems today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by