Dead Hen - What Caused This?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Suzie, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Having read so much information here about predators I am still undecided as to what caused the death of one of my chickens any suggestions would be welcome....

My chickens are housed inside overnight in a brick built coop with wooden doors and the "windows" are composed of very thick mesh - not even a wasp can enter through the windows as the mesh is very closely knit. Three days ago all of the chickens were secured inside their home - all areas checked for any sign of predators and all chickens appeared well and healthy. The following morning one chicken was found dead inside the coop - she only had her beak and nothing else to show for her face - the flesh was only apparent from her crop area downwards - first thoughts were that she died of some cause and that the other chickens had pecked at her corpse causing the resulting image -this was shocking to say the least as had there been any signs of her being ill she would have been isolated and safe.....

I examined her body and found a hole appoximately 2" just below her wind - the hole was perfectly round and her entire breast on the left side was missing - I cannot even begin to think that my other chickens did this - there was a small hole chewed away from the bottom of one of the doors - certainly large enough for a rat to enter - a trap has been set but no predator has entered since the event -

Question...

Could a rat have caused the hole in the chicken?

Could it have been a weasel or pine marten?

I am so concerned for my other chickens! ducks and geese are housed separately and they are all OK at the moment - whatever it was I need to know....... anyone have any ideas as to what I am looking for and effective means of trapping? We have a rat trap to attempt to catch whatever it was that killed her - it is housed at the door entrance that was chewed away to allow the predator to enter.

Thank You for any suggestions - I can't help my girl but I can maybe prevent any of my others from meeting the same fate!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Apologies for my spelling ..... it was supposed to read just below her wing not wind.......!!!!!

Sorry for any confusion!!!

S

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by