1. Josey Wales

Josey Wales New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    She was fine SUN afternoon and even laid. Yesterday afternoon yellow runny poop and lethargic. This morning dead. Other 5 hens showing no signs. Had always had issues with runny stool and dirty vent with the hen that died but she always laid good and seemed fine. I know some of you will probably throw out Blackhead but I don't know. I'm hoping it was just something internal with her. Besides I've read that blackhead is carried by chickens but chickens don't get it, turkeys do. Anyway, y'all think I should Medicate the others with something? If so, what? Only thing I have ever used is D-earth. All the the hens are roughly a year old.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. without a necropsy, you cannot know for sure what killed her. But since she had runny droppings for awhile, she could have had coccidiosis, enteritis, or other intestinal problems. I would not recommend medicating with antibiotics without knowing what was wrong. If you see any runny droppings or anyone else sick, you could take in a few fresh droppings to a vet for a fecal test to look for worms and coccidiosis. Corid (amprollium) is a good non-antibiotic for treating cocci. If I lost another, I would refrigerate the body, and contact your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy. Sorry for your loss.

3. Josey Wales

Josey Wales New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    Thanks for responding. So far so good on the others. The more I thought about it the more I really think she just had something going on from birth. I would give her electrolytes or yogurt and it would seem to get a little better but her vent was always a little dirty. She never acted like anything was wrong and was a consistent layer. I'll keep an eye on the others with my fingers crossed. Btw.....u did bleach the roosting area lightly and the droppings pan just for the heck of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by