Dead hen

Tslauson

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2018
So I am pretty new to chickens and this is my first death. I have 11 hen and 1 rooster. I raised them all but 2 from day 1. (I have had the 2 for about 2 months now.) I woke up this morning to find Lucy one of my RIR dead and I have no idea why!!! Last night was the first night I did not check them before bed because I was out late at my son's football game that was away. I feel awful! Does this sort of thing just happen???

So I am pretty new to chickens and this is my first death. I have 11 hen and 1 rooster. I raised them all but 2 from day 1. (I have had the 2 for about 2 months now.) I woke up this morning to find Lucy one of my RIR dead and I have no idea why!!! Last night was the first night I did not check them before bed because I was out late at my son's football game that was away. I feel awful! Does this sort of thing just happen???
You must be feeling awful.
It does happen. There is always a reason thought.
I had lovely roosters die within a week. One didn’t look well when he went to roost and was dead on the coop floor the next morning, the other was fine when he went to roost but was also dead on the floor the next morning.
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try and how much you care, chicken die for no apparent reason.
What I should have done is a necropsy; that would have been the responsible thing to do, but I didn’t and should another die, because I didn’t do a necropsy, I’ll have to live with the thought that I might just have been able to find out why they died and possibly do something to avert any more deaths.
Fortunately, the two deaths happened some time ago and no others have died from mysterious causes since; that’s luck more then management.
You may not feel able to do a necropsy and many people, including myself will understand, but the next chicken that dies here from unknown causes is going to get a necropsy whether I like it or not.

Were they locked in the coop all night? It can be common to lose one occasionally. I would look for any crop enlargement, for a stuck egg, mites or lice, or other obvious symptoms. Sometimes they are good at hiding symptoms. We can sometimes pick up symptoms if we handle them often. It is a good idea to quarantine new chickens for at least a month for any signs of illness. If you lose another you may want to contact your state vet to perform a necropsy, but be sure to refrigerate the body. Sorry for your loss. Here is a link with info on state vets and necropsies:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

No signs of attack she was in the coop all night she was acting just fine and she is only 6 months old!

Do you have it in you to do an informal necropsy and post pictures? Or have her sent for one at your state lab?
As I mentioned, I was recently in the same boat. But I couldn't justify spending $125 for a necropsy and I couldn't do it myself so I understand if these are not options for you. However, my chicken was clearly abnormal.
Without being able to examine her internally, no one will really be able to offer you any meaningful insight as to why she suddenly died. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for you loss. :hugs The first one is definitely the hardest. I just went through it too.
Have you examined her body for signs of attack? Was she acting off in any way in the previous days? How old was she?
No signs of attack she was in the coop all night she was acting just fine and she is only 6 months old!

Back
Top Bottom