Dead hen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MOChickenz, Sep 18, 2010.

1. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    One of my ex battery hens got killed last night. Obviously, she didn't come in with the rest of the flock. Found her this morning in the barn. She was eaten just a little in the breast area. Any idea what might have done that? We live in a semi-rural area. We have coyotes, raccoons, foxes, a cat and two dogs. The one dog is on a dog run away from the chickens, the other doesn't go near them. Both of the dogs were barking at something last night.

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I read SOMEWHERE that taking the breast meat is signature for a certain predator, but I can't remember for the life of me what it is!!!
    I count my hens every night. They are now accustomed to the 'count' and the tap as I go along the roost accounting for everyone. My husband laughs at this practice but for some reason counted the hens a few nights ago when he was closing up the coop. Sure enough, one was outside caught behind the fence!
    Sorry for your loss

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Birds Bitten

If you find dead or wounded birds that have been bitten, they may have been attacked by a dog. If they are young birds and the bites are around the hock, suspect a rat. If the bites are on the leg or breast, the biter is likely an opposum. ‘Possums like tender growing birds and will sneak up to the roost while fryers are sleeping and bite a chunk out of a breast or thigh. On the rare occasion a ‘possum kills a chicken, it usually eats it on the spot.

From the sticky here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18670

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    racoons eat the breast area where the crop is

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by