1. cottagegardens

cottagegardens New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    I went out to my coop this morning and one of my hens was dead. She was still warm so it had just happened. The girls had been really vocal the last couple days. We've had so nasty weather so yesterday I spread fresh straw, put in fresh bedding in the roost and cleaned out the icky feed from the feeder. They all seemed fine in the evening. This morning they were making all kinds of racket. When I went out to feed, I found her, still laying on an egg. There are no marks on her, no blood. She's just under a year old. I'm worried about my other girls. I keep checking them, they all just took their dust baths and seem perky and happy.

Any idea what could have happened?

Thanks,
    Patti
    SF Bay Area

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:you say you cleaned out the icky feed from the feeder, could she have gotten a hold of some spoiled feed? you could put some molasses in the others water for a couple of days just in case they might have gotten some too. can't remember the doseage, but this would just be for a percaution. So sorry you lost her. And wish it was under better circumstances but.... [​IMG] 1/4 cup of molasses in a gallon of water let them drink freely for 4 hours then take away. let this be their sole drinking water for 4 hours. All the Best.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    You said she had an egg under her? She may have been egg bound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by