Dead Hen!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hawtchick, Aug 23, 2008.

1. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well, I am just heartbroken.
    I went out yesterday to let our hens out for the day, and in the corner of the coop floor, one of our hens was dead. [​IMG]
    No signs of attack, nothing obvious. She was just stretched out with her eyes closed, dead.
    This is our first year with chicks, and she was only about 12 weeks old. I am clueless. I haven't seen any blood in the poop or anything else.
    I am terrified I could lose the other ones.
    Anyone one BTDT??
    Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I am so sorry for your loss.

I know I would be devastated if I found one of my girls dead. Bad thing is I know it will eventually happen.[​IMG]

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear about your little white leghorn. Sending good vibes so the others are ok.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    im so sorry *hugs* lets just hope that she had some congenital problem with maybe her heart and died as a result...i know it's easy to start worrying about contagins but just keep an eye on everyone and at the first sign of something weird i'd medicate with antibiotics if you think it *could* possibly be an illness.

*hugs*

5. mygirlScout

mygirlScout Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    [​IMG] I'm sorry! I had the same thing happen to me on Saturday. My EE was 14 weeks old and dead on her back stretched out in the yard. She was staying close to the coop all morning and was dead in the evening.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh I am so sorry. I would be sick if I found one of my babies like that. I know I will eventually lose one of my girls but I am not looking forward to that day at all because they are my babies. ***Hugs***

7. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    my sympathies to you on your loss i hope all turns out ok in the near future.

8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    (((HUGS))) I am really sorry!

9. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss.

10. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    I'm sorry for your loss. My 9 week old pullets seem fine but it's always in the back of my mind when I let them out of the hen house in the morning, even tho it's secure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by