dead hens and rooster

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by addietief, Oct 12, 2012.

1. addietief

addietief Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Yesterday something killed two of our hens and our rooster in broad daylight. My husband insists they free range even though we have a big run for them. I'm very upset - the rooster was such a good guy. One hen was on the side of the house, one hen was in the woods in front of the house, and the rooster is missing. There are lots of feathers around, which I think are the roosters. How could this happen? We lost four of our hens in May and at this point we are wondering if we should keep getting chickens. It's so hard when you lose them. It had to be more than one animal but what? Anyone know? Also, if we let our cat out, will she be safe? She is super fast and climbs trees in a heartbeat.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    That is a risk you run with free ranging. You have to accept that it can happen and try to do all you can to prevent it or not free range. With the cat it would depend on what the predator was.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Sounds like a dog attack. They usually leave the bodies where they kill them. A fox, which I have had the misfortune of finding out, will kill several at a time and carry them away. I've had two daylight fox attacks. I know how you feel, it's no fun. What I did here for my chickens was to get an electrified poultry fence from Premier. I got 400' of it and surrounded my coop. I've had the fence since Apr, and haven't had any problems since. I still let them out to roam the yard every now and again, but I'm right out there with them. As far as the cat goes, I have two of them and they get outside and wander around, and haven't had any problems. But, in saying that, like the other poster said, I guess it would depend on what predator you have around there as far as the cat goes.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by