1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dead hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DEBRA56, Feb 6, 2014.

1. DEBRA56

DEBRA56 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    So, after almost 3 years, all my hens are now dead. 2 died last year of "non contagious bacteria infection" per necropsy report. They had the exact same symptoms of diarrhea, fluffy feathers and eyes closed like they were sleeping. Now the remaining 2 died at the same time during the Superbowl Game. Cause of death per necropsy report? OVARIAN CANCER! NO MORE HENS FOR US, I'm done![​IMG] I cried but was glad one was not left without the other. They were really close. Makes me so sad, but still, no more for us!

2. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    I am so sorry
    :hugs

3. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    Sorry for the loss. Curious, what kind of food did they eat? I ask because I am discovering that the GMO foods cause short lives and high cancer risk. I recently discovered that the "organic" feed I've been using has GMO grain in it, not happy with that discovery. The magic buzz phrase is "natural whole grain"; that is non-GMO. Hope this may encourage a future flock.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    What kind of organic feed are you using? GMOs are not allowed in organic feed. A trace amount is unavoidable because of contamination, but no certified organic feed knowingly use GMOs. Many of the big companies test each shipment for GMO contamination and reject those not up to par. Nature's Best is one of these. The term "natural" has no legal meaning, so a natural feed is hype. Please let us know how you found out that your "organic Feed" has GMOs.

5. ChickenCurt

Jan 2, 2014
    Well, I thought I had an old feed bag around that started my search a few weeks ago but I have it no longer. The new feed is different and non-GMO. I'll keep diligently searching in hopes of getting those links.[​IMG]

6. DEBRA56

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    I replyed to yahoo so sorry. Here was my response to you...Purena layena from Del's farm supply. Not happy with some of their advice given these last couple of years. Medicines were wrong and incorrect doseages! My hens loved to eat cabbage occassionally, scrambled eggs in with their pellet food, banannas, yogurt, corn on the cob, shredded wheat squares, sometimes bird seeds, and their favorite was to free range and peck at grass and scratch for bugs & worms. Thank you caring and replying, just sorry it took me so long. Needless to say, no more hens for us![​IMG]

7. DEBRA56

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    I replyed to yahoo so sorry. Here was my response to you...Purena layena from Del's farm supply. Not happy with some of their advice given these last couple of years. Medicines were wrong and incorrect doseages! My hens loved to eat cabbage occassionally, scrambled eggs in with their pellet food, banannas, yogurt, corn on the cob, shredded wheat squares, sometimes bird seeds, and their favorite was to free range and peck at grass and scratch for bugs & worms. Thank you caring and replying, just sorry it took me so long. Needless to say, no more hens for us![​IMG]

8. DEBRA56

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Thank you!

9. DEBRA56

Mar 3, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Awww, Thank you for your caring!

1 person likes this.
  10. ChickenCurt

Jan 2, 2014
    Thank you, but I haven't gave up yet. If I was still on the spot I could post this as a defense...though probably a week one with Purina's track record for inconsistency.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by